Many wonder what the process for auto body repair after an auto accident. At Robert’s Auto Repair, our goal is to take a bunch of lemons and turn them into lemonade for our customers. Here is the general process of what happens after an auto accident takes place, until the automobile is fully restored:
- When you arrive, you are greeted by our repair estimators.
- We will estimate your vehicle, then move it into production.
- Once it goes into production, we disassemble the vehicle and inspect it for further damage.
- Then we update the estimate and notify the insurance company.
- When your vehicle is in the body shop, we will prepare the vehicle by grinding the panel that needs to be straightened, metal finish pin weld the sheet metal back to its original shape, and finish it off with a thin coat of Bondo; sanding it down with 180 grit.
- When the car comes out of the body shop and moves into the paint shop, it’s like moving into a surgery room. The state-of-the-art equipment will kick into gear, by curing our primer so we have no dive back or shrinkage. Normally what used to take about 6 - 8 hours to complete is done in 10 - 15 minutes.
- We bag the car to protect the rest of the finish on the vehicle. We feather edge and prime; then block, then prime...and when it’s finished off in 600 grit, then it goes into our state-of-the-art waterborne paint booth.
- In the paint booth, we apply our environmentally friendly waterborne paint (which makes us green certified). We apply our clear coat. We bake it at a 170 - 200 degrees Fahrenheit, and it brings it back to the factory pre-loss condition.
- After cool down, the vehicle is ready for assembly.
- After assembly, it goes to the detail rack.
- After the detail, the customer is called, and it’s ready for pick-up.
Estimated completion time: 6 to 8 hours! As you can see, our state-of-the-art equipment at Robert’s Auto Repair allows us to return your car to you within the same day!To schedule an appointment with our auto body repair shop, call Robert’s Auto Repair at 831-373-1535.