“There is a greater than 90% chance that El Niño will continue through Northern Hemisphere winter 2015-2016 and around an 80% chance it will last through early spring 2016.” -- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
With a notable “Godzilla” El Nino season coming, the parched state of California is ready to welcome some serious rainstorms...we hope. Please, oh please, El Nino, help us end this drought!
To prepare for the forecasted Fall and Winter storms, be smart and prepare your vehicle for commuting in the rain. Wet pavement contributes to nearly 1.2 million traffic crashes each year. Though we are fully equipped at Robert’s Collision & Repair to fix your vehicle after a crash, we want to help you avoid needing our auto body shop if we can. Here are some helpful tips to keep your vehicle safe while driving in wet weather.
- Slow down in the rain. Speed limits are set for ideal conditions with no rain and good visibility. There is no shame in slowing to below speed limit levels for safety’s sake.
- Avoid using cruise control during wet driving conditions because it increases the chance of losing control of your vehicle in a slick spot.
- Turn on your headlights for better visibility.
- Slow down to avoid hydroplaning.
- If you do start to hydroplane, slow down and allow the tires to grab ahold of the road again before applying the brakes.
- To reduce chances of hydroplaning, leave plenty of room between yourself and the vehicle in front of you, and avoid hard braking.
- Avoid turning sharply.
- Try to drive in the tracks of the vehicles traveling ahead of you.
- If your vehicle begins to skid, look and steer the car in the direction you intend to go.
- When skidding, don’t panic and don’t slam on the brakes, for it could upset the stability of your vehicle.
If you want to prepare your vehicle with new tires, new windshield wiper blades, or regular maintenance, contact Robert’s Collision & Repair. We are the Monterey Peninsula’s premier auto body, mechanical repair, tire service, detailing service, and auto paint service facility. Robert’s Collision & Repair is located just off Highway 1 at the Del Monte Blvd. Pacific Grove exit. Our shop address is 234 Ramona Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940. Call 831-373-1534 to schedule an appointment.