We are in the midst of the rainy season and that means a lot of people are out on hazardous roads. Unfortunately, accidents happen frequently during this season. If you are involved in a traffic accident, here are some suggestions on what to do:
Before an Accident --
- Be sure to carry your driver’s license, current proof of insurance, pen, paper, and a mobile phone with a camera. These items will help make the post-accident process much easier.
- Also carry a set of cones, warning triangles, or emergency flares in your trunk to help alert traffic.
Immediately after an Accident --
1. Stay calm. Take a deep breath. Think about your safety and those around you.
2. If someone is injured, call 911 immediately. Additionally, call police if there is significant damage to your vehicles.
3. Get off the road as quickly as possible. If you had a minor fender bender, you don't have to leave the cars where they are. If you cannot move your vehicle, alert approaching drivers by putting on your hazard lights. If possible, ignite safety flares or set out reflective traffic cones. This will help other drivers avoid crashing into you, your car, your passengers, et al.
4. Watch your language. Words like “It was my fault.” could be used against you in future proceedings.
5. Collect the following insurance information from the other driver(s) involved in the accident:
Make, model and year of the car
License plate number
Insurance policy number
6. If possible, take the following photos with your smartphone or other mobile device:
Damage to your vehicle
People involved with the accident
7. Get the following information from the police:
Police report number and a copy of the report
Soon after the Accident --
- Contact your insurance provider right way to file your claim. In case you are not aware, Robert’s is a preferred auto body and repair facility for several insurance companies, including State Farm, GEICO, Farmer’s, Progressive, USAA, and Esurance.
- Come to Robert’s Collision & Repair for a repair estimate and to begin repair.
Our wish for you, of course, is that you never get into any type of automobile accident. However, if you do, we will do our best to repair your vehicle and get you back out on the road as quickly as possible.
For high-quality auto body repair, mechanical repair, oil changes, auto paint, auto detailing, and tire service, come see us at 234 Ramona Avenue in Monterey, CA. Schedule an appointment by calling 831-373-1534.
Robert’s Collision & Repair: The premier auto repair center on the Monterey Peninsula.