Even the most proactive vehicle owner can find themselves dealing with a car that’s overheated. It’s true that if you stay on a regular preventive maintenance schedule, not only will you save yourself money in the long run, you’ll significantly decrease the chances of ending up broken down on the side of the road.
Regardless, if it ever happens to you, make sure you know what to do to minimize the damage that’s already been done. The worst thing you can do is to keep driving it like nothing's wrong.
- Your best bet is to pull over immediately. The more you drive after it overheats, the more extensive the damage. Even so, stay safe and pull over in a good location and turn off the engine.
- Don’t be in a hurry to open the hood. Wait until it’s completely cooled down. You may not be able to see that on your temperature gauge on the dash, so just don’t rush.
- Pull out your owner’s manual if you’re not sure how to check your coolant level in the radiator reservoir. This will let you know if you need to add more coolant into the radiator.
- If so, you’ll need to carefully remove the radiator cap. Don’t open if it’s hot or even warm to the touch. You’ll want to slowly twist the cap off with a towel if at all possible. Once you’ve filled it back up, don’t forget to put the cap back on properly.
- Check both the upper and lower radiator hoses to see if they are disconnected, split open, or blocked. If they are intact and the radiator now has enough fluid, go ahead and restart your engine.
- Keep your eye on the temperature gauge and if it starts to heat up, get to another safe spot and pull over. Call for a tow if that’s what you need to do and get it into a professional mechanic as soon as possible.
- Do your best to always be prepared. Carry extra coolant in your car along with a solid tool kit, emergency kit, food, water, a flashlight, and anything else that might keep you safe if you find yourself stranded on the side of the road.
If you follow up with regular preventive maintenance, you'll significantly decrease the likelihood of overheating. If you follow these suggestions if it does ever happen to you, you'll know how to stay safe if you do end up on the side of the road.
We want you safe! We have everything it takes to help your car stay healthy and keep you safely running on the roads of Monterey and beyond all summer long. Our facility is state of the art and houses the best in equipment, technology, and quality products to help you get the most out of your hybrid vehicle. The team of experts at CARSTAR Robert’s Collision in Monterey will always make your safety our number one priority. Whether your vehicle needs help staying cool, a detail service, auto body work, or other auto service or repair, make your appointment with CARSTAR Robert’s Collision today! See you soon!